Roosevelt Elementary School
951 Dowling Blvd., San Leandro CA 94577
Mr. David Kumamoto - Principal
Chris Lucero - Office Manager
Lynne Kruger - Office Clerk
Laura Ordonez - Parent Facilitator
JANUARY IS “RESPECT AND KINDNESS MONTH” AT ROOSEVELT
Join us in growing a “Garden of Kindness”!
Greetings Roosevelt families-
For the month of January, Roosevelt is joining in the national observance of “No-Name Calling Week” and expanding it to an entire month! Please join us in celebrating “Respect and Kindness Month” at Roosevelt and beyond. This is a reminder that our school should be an environment where everyone feels safe and welcome, and where bullying is not tolerated. We expect all students to show kindness and respect towards all in our community.
During this month, your child’s teacher will be offering age-appropriate lessons on respect, kindness, and empathy. Each class will also participate in an art activity, culminating in a school-wide “Garden of Kindness” in the main hallway (to be installed this Friday Jan. 19 after school).
Here are some ways you can support the effort at home:
- Ask your child what they are learning in class about words and their impact during Respect and Kindness Month.
- Encourage your child to talk with you about their friendships. If your child shows signs of feeling left out, talk with them about it. Share a time when you felt the same way.
- Ask your child what they observe about kindness or unkindness in different school settings: on the playground, in the classroom, in the lunch room.
- Brainstorm ways your child can use kind language and respectful behavior at school.
- Consider reviewing your own behavior and language at home. Do you use negative terms for people who are different from you, or overlook it in others? Can you find ways to model more empathy and kindness at home?
- Stop by with your children to visit the Garden of Kindness in the main hallway, starting next week, to explore these themes further.
Please reach out to your child’s teacher with any ideas or concerns. Thank you for your support!
Roosevelt staff, PTA, and the LGBTQS Parent Alliance
Please register at https://tinyurl.com/0201impact
Sign up for text reminder from Roosevelt.
It's a great way to keep up with what's happening at school.
Enter this number:
Text this message:
Board of Education Declares District Campuses As Safe Zones For Families And Students Threatened By Immigration Enforcement
SAN LEANDRO, Calif., February 8, 2017 -- The San Leandro Board of Education last night passed a resolution making all campuses a safe zone for students and their families and reinforced the district’s policy mandating that all immigrant students attending San Leandro schools have equal access to an education regardless of their status or the status of their family members. The resolution was passed unanimously on Tuesday night, followed by applause from a full house of community members, educators, union representatives and students.