San Leandro High School Vision and Expected Student Learning Results
Our goal is for all students to leave San Leandro High School as prepared and productive members of society. These are the ideal outcomes we envision for all of our students as appropriate and applicable. We continually strive to help all students achieve the following:
Fundamental Skills: Reads, writes, listens, speaks, visualizes; performs mathematical operations; and is information literate.
- Reading: analyzes a variety of written material
- Writing: clearly communicates in written form
- Mathematics: approaches problems by choosing appropriately from a variety of mathematical techniques
- Listening and Speaking: interprets, analyzes, and responds clearly to verbal messages in appropriate form
- Technological and Information Literacy: uses a variety of methods to access and apply information through technology
- Visualizing: organizes and processes symbols, pictures, graphs, objects, and other information
- Knowing How to Learn: uses efficient learning techniques to acquire and apply new knowledge and skills
Thinking Skills: Thinks creatively and critically. Makes decisions, and solves problems.
- Creative Thinking: generates new ideas, processes, or products
- Decision Making: specifies goals and constraints, generates alternatives, considers risks, and chooses the best alternative
- Problem Solving: states problems and implements a plan of action
Fundamental Knowledge: Applies a common body of knowledge
- Physical Universe: understands the laws, theories, and relationships which underlie the physical universe
- People: understands the richness of human experience as expressed through gender and diverse cultures
- Events: understands historical context for current events
- Philosophical Principals and Ideas: explores philosophical ideas and systems that affect the way we live and think
- Arts: interprets and understands the arts as a way of experiencing and valuing the world
- Personal Health: understands the importance of physical and emotional health and has the knowledge to make the best choices for life
Personal Qualities: Displays responsibility, self-esteem, sociability, integrity, interpersonal skills, perseverance, appreciation of diversity, and citizenship.
- Responsibility: accepts personal accountability and functions responsibly within the school community and displays appropriate behaviors.
- Self Esteem: maintains a positive, realistic view of self and exhibits resilience
- Sociability: demonstrates interpersonal skills including understanding, friendliness, adaptability, empathy, and politeness in group settings
- Integrity: chooses ethical courses of action
- Perseverance: consistently exerts a high level of effort
- Appreciation of Diversity: respects the diversity of race, culture, nationality, religious belief and practice, physical and personality differences, sexual orientation, language, ability, gender, gender expression and age in our school community and nation
- Citizenship: demonstrates positive traits such as punctuality, honesty, generosity, kindness, and friendliness