Message from Dr. McLaughlin
Degrees and Certifications:
December 20, 2017
Dear SLUSD Community,
As we gather with friends and family to celebrate the holidays, I thought it was a good time to reflect on what we’ve achieved together as a community dedicated to building a culture of excellence for our students.
Here’s a just a few of the programs and initiatives that reflect the passion and commitment of the SLUSD community:
- Project Based Learning is being infused across all curriculums at all levels. Research has shown that this type of collaborative learning is key for our students’ future success.
- The Two-Way Bilingual Immersion program launched at Washington Elementary and is a model for how we will continue to build bilingual education at the earliest stage.
- Our San Leandro High students have expanded choices and exposure to college and career readiness through the launch of our college and career freshmen seminar.
- Thanks to the Measure J1 bond funding, our libraries are undergoing transformative design and technology upgrades that will help turn them into education centers that support collaboration and learning in today’s world.
- Amidst the changing political environment, we reinforced our commitment to ensure an education for all children, regardless of their immigration status with a public statement following the decision on DACA -- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. We stand by our immigrant families and are steadfast in our commitment to make each and every SLUSD school site a place of safety, learning and support.
- In the spirit of transparency and open communication, we publicly released results from the CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress) which measures students’ knowledge and helps us understand how we are performing over time. Please see our website for more information.
SLUSD Trustees, Administrators and Staff are energized and motivated as we move into 2018 with innovative teaching strategies, engaged learners and involved and informed families.
I wish all of you a safe and relaxing holiday break.
Mike McLaughlin Ed.D