All Schools must adopt a Student Code of Conduct regarding bullying to be followed by every student in accordance with BP 5145.31 for Hate Motivated Behavior. All students would follow the code when traveling to and from school or at school-sponsored activities, during school lunch or recess, and whether on or off campus.
The Student Code of Conduct should include, but is not limited, to the following expectations:
- Students are expected to treat others with respect and dignity.
- Any student who engages in bullying may be subject to disciplinary action under the District disciplinary code.
- Students are expected to immediately report incidents of bullying to the principal or designee. Reporting safety concerns to adult authorities is not the same as “tattling” and shows concern for the person or persons being harmed.
- Students should refuse to watch, laugh, or join in when someone is being bullied.
- Students are encouraged to offer moral support to any student who is being bullied or mistreated.
- Students can rely on staff to promptly investigate each complaint of bullying in a thorough and confidential manner.
- If the complainant student or the parent of the student feels that appropriate resolution of the investigation or complaint has not been reached, the student or the parent of the student should contact the Site Administrator or the Director of Student Support Services.
- Understand and discuss this policy and school rules with your child.
- Report incidents of bullying to your student's teacher, counselor, principal, or principal's designee.
- Learn the warning signs that your child might be a victim or perpetrator of bullying.
Responding to Bullying Complaints
- The district's response to bullying shall be comprehensive and involve staff, students, parents/legal guardians, and the community, as appropriate, in order to address bullying at all school levels.
- A complaint may be made to any site or district level staff person, as appropriate. Victims of bullying are encouraged to file their complaint in writing, using the Bullying Report Form. However, oral complaints will be accepted.
- All bullying complaints shall be investigated and resolved within 30 school days of the filing of a complaint.