2150 East 14th Street, San Leandro, CA 94577
May this year bring you much love, joy and prosperity. Wishing you a great year filled with immense happiness and luck! Stay in good health and achieve greater heights of success. Let’s look forward to the upcoming year with confidence and hope. Happy New Year McKinley Family!
Kids Heart Challenge (KIck Off Assembly on 1/9/19)
This is a fun and exciting event where your student learns about their heart while helping others and raising money for the American Heart Association. The Kids Heart Challenge prepares your child for success through physical and emotional well-being.
After School Enrichment Opportunities
McKinley has partnered with KidzToPros to offer a robust menu of free enrichment opportunities. Our first session is open to 2nd and 3rd graders and begins in January. We have limited spaces left in the chess and creative math classes. Please stop by the office and complete a registration form if you are interested in taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratorical Festival and Poetry Slam
San Leandro students are invited to perform an original or well-known essay, speech, or poem honoring MLK, Jr. and celebrates his message of peace, tolerance, and social justice.
When: Monday, January 21, 2018, 10:30 am
Where: Senior Community Center, 13909 E. 14th St
For details and to download the entry form, visit http://www.sanleandro.org/depts/rec/special_events/default.asp
Entry Forms accepted until January 14, 2018 or 25 entry forms received. This is a City of San Leandro sponsored activity. For information, call 577-3473.
- Ice Cream Social in August (Free)
- Donations/gifts from PTO
- Mini fridge for Mr. Lorenzo
- White board to office
- $2,000.00 Scholastic dollars to new teachers (classroom libraries)
- Purchased games for the game room and VIP recess (PBIS incentives)
- $100 to Mr. Truong for class iPad
- $200 for instruments for Mrs. Oey (vocal music)
- $400 for Expo Markers for each class (mid year gift to teachers)
- Subscription to Scholastic News for all the Kinder and 1st grade classes
- $300 to offset the cost of transportation for the Kinder field trip to the zoo
We have been able to accomplish this because of your participation and support of our events and fundraising efforts. Thank you!
- Ongoing Fundraisers
- Box Tops (please keep collecting …. Next submission in February
- Papa Murphy’s every third Wednesday of the month through June
- January 16th (January date)
First Fridays at Drakes
Drakes has been supporting local schools and charities through First Friday fundraisers at their San Leandro brewery since 2008. Each month, they invite an new organization to partner with them iin hosting a fun, family friendly event at their brewery featuring great food and beer along with live music. Drake has invited McKinley to participate in their FIrst Friday in February. Please stay tuned for more details.
Get messages on Remind:
Enter this number on your phone: 81010
Text this message: @gb4dd8
OR email email@example.com
Dates to Remember
- January 7 PTO Meeting (6:00 -7:30PM) MPR
- January 9 Parent Engagement NIght (6:00 - 7:00PM)
- January 16 School Smart Sessions 1 & 2 ( 8:15 -9:30) Portable B
- January 16 Papa Murphy’s Fundraiser (11:00 - 8:00PM)
- January 17 DELAC Meeting (6:00 -7:30PM) Barbara Lee Center
- January 18 ELAC Meeting (8:10 -9:30PM) Portable B
- January 22 - 25 Early Release Schedule due to Mid Year Assessments
- January 21 Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday (no school)
- January 21 Martin Luther KIng Oratorical Festival
- January 23 School Smart Sessions 3&4 (8:15-9:30AM) Portable B
- January 24 SSC (3:30-4:30PM) Library
- January 30 School Smart Sessions 5&6 (8:10 -9:30) Portable B
- February 1 First Friday at Drakes Fundraiser
- February 4 PTO Meeting (6:00 - 7:30PM) MPR
- February 6 Lunar New Year Celebration/Coffee Chat
Make everyday count. Good attendance now will help your children do well in high school, college and work. Congratulations to Ms. Joffroy’s class for having the best attendance during the month of December.
Seeking Volunteers for TK & Kindergarten Classrooms
If you are interested in working in either transitional kindergarten or kindergarten classrooms, our elementary schools are always looking for enthusiastic volunteers! Our schools especially need support for 30-60 minutes at a time in the classroom, during recess, and during lunch.
Please contact McKinley's Parent Facilitator Jennifer Amate at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how you can become a volunteer.
📰 SLUSD Latest News
When you were a freshman in high school, did you have any idea where you would be in 10 years? One half of the 9th-grade class at San Leandro High School has not only an idea of what the year 2028 will look like for them, but they also created a plan to get there.
Students from John Muir Middle School in partnership with the San Leandro Education Foundation (SLED) have been preparing for the holidays by giving back to their community. Students collected over $3,000 in cash donations which were used to purchase gift cards, clothing, toys, blankets, and other holiday items for 22 John Muir families in need.
At Tuesday night’s SLUSD school board meeting, the members of the Measure I Steering Committee were presented with special recognition awards for helping secure overwhelming community support to restore essential school funding and protect the quality of education in the district’s schools. Measure I was approved by voters with a 75.08% approval rate, which is one of the largest percentages of “yes” votes in the district’s history.
Students at Garfield and McKinley Elementary Schools are the fortunate recipients of newly remodeled science facilities, known as STEAM labs, thanks to a $100,000 donation from the San Leandro Educational Foundation (SLED). The donation will be officially presented to the San Leandro Unified School District during the December Board of Education meeting on Tuesday, December 11, at 7:00 pm.