- San Leandro USD
- San Leandro Unified School District
San Leandro Unified School Board Passes Myrna and Mariah Resolution to End Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Keziah Moss, Director of Community & Employee Engagement, (510) 667-6202, firstname.lastname@example.org
SAN LEANDRO, CA – The San Leandro Unified school board has passed the Myrna and Mariah Resolution to End Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, authored by the San Leandro High School Social Justice Academy (SJA) senior class. The academy was compelled to action by the tragic domestic violence murders of San Leandro high school students Myrna Umanzor and Mariah Davis, and worked collaboratively with district leadership to bring the resolution forward at the May school board meeting on May 7.
With the victims’ families in the audience, the school board heard comments from members of the academy describing the deep and immediate need for this resolution, in light of Davis’s death earlier this school year. “Myrna and Mariah's families are overjoyed by its passage,” said Erica Viray-Santos, SJA coordinator and teacher, “This resolution will not only allow Myrna and Mariah's names to live on, but will also ensure our school community is engaged in activities and conversations surrounding domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, toxic gender roles, healthy relationships, and consent at all levels, from elementary to high school.”
The resolution outlines some of the following specific initiatives to be supported by the district.
- SLUSD will require that schools in the district engage students in activities during October around Domestic Violence Awareness Month and/or in February around Dating Violence Awareness Month, on healthy relationships to commemorate Myrna Umanzor and Mariah Davis.
- SLUSD will implement annual training programs for all employees and volunteer staff which seek to address, educate, and prevent domestic violence, sexual assault, rape culture, and toxic gender roles.
- SLUSD will require that schools in the district utilize the Myrna and Mariah Resolution Kit containing a plan and curriculum on healthy relationships that addresses domestic violence, sexual assault, rape culture, and toxic gender roles.
- SLUSD will require that all classrooms in the district put up a poster that commemorates Myrna Umanzor and Mariah Davis, references this resolution, and states that there is no tolerance for domestic violence, sexual assault, rape culture, and toxic gender roles in our schools or at minimum, the resolution is discussed by every teacher in their classroom, either within their syllabus along with other school wide policies.
Passed by the board with a vote of 7-0, each trustee took time to express their overwhelming support of the detailed, difficult, and dedicated work from the students and staff. “We are not shocked by these impressive efforts because we have that caliber of student in SLUSD,” said district superintendent Dr. Mike McLaughlin, “We are sincerely grateful that they have allowed us to work side by side as continuous partners in ensuring all of our students are safe.”
The full resolution is available for review by clicking on the link above. For the latest news regarding progress on these initiatives on behalf of the San Leandro Unified School District, please visit slusd.us.
About the San Leandro Unified School District
The San Leandro Unified School District operates a comprehensive TK-12 program and an adult school at campuses throughout San Leandro. The district educates its students by utilizing state-of-the-art technologies and innovative teaching strategies to help students achieve academic excellence and become collaborative and competitive in a global society. For more information, visit www.slusd.us